1. SC adjourns hearing on pleas challenging the Constitutional validity of Article 35A.
- The Supreme Court (SC) adjourned a scheduled hearing on PILs challenging the validity of Article 35A of the Constitution It will now be heard in week commencing 27th of this month.
- Apex Court said that the three-judge bench hearing case has to decide whether the issue of Article 35A has to be referred to the constitutional bench.
- Article 35A of the Indian Constitution is an article that empowers the Jammu and Kashmir state’s legislature to define “permanent residents” of the state and provide special rights and privileges to those permanent residents.
- It prohibits non-permanent residents of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) from the permanent settlement in the state, and from acquiring immovable property, government jobs, scholarships and aid there.
- It was added to the Constitution through a Presidential Order, i.e., The Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954.
- Article 370 of the Indian constitution is an article that grants special autonomous status to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The article is drafted in Part XXI of the Constitution: Temporary, Transitional and Special Provisions.
- The State’s Constituent Assembly was empowered to recommend the articles of the Indian constitution to be applied to the state or to abrogate the Article 370 altogether.
- After the state Constituent Assembly has dissolved itself without recommending abrogation, the Article 370 was deemed to have become a permanent feature of the Indian Constitution.
Source- The Hindu
2. Opening Ceremony of Indo – Thailand Joint Exercise Maitree 2018 held in Thailand.
- Exercise Maitree is a joint military exercise between the Indian Army and Royal Thai Army which will be conducted from 06 to 19 August 2018 in Thailand.
- It is a platoon level exercise which comprises of infantry component. The opening ceremony started with the familiarization of organisation and display of weapons & equipment of both armies.
- The exercise will emphasize to hone the tactical and technical skills in joint counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in the rural and urban scenario under UN mandate.
3. China successfully tests first hypersonic aircraft that can carry nuclear warheads.
- The test of the Xingkong-2, or Starry Sky-2, was conducted in a target range located in northwest China, the state-run China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA).
- Launched by a multi-stage rocket, China’s hypersonic aircraft wave rider was released in the air after about 10 minutes.
- Wave rider is a flight vehicle that flies in the atmosphere and uses shockwaves generated by its own hypersonic flight with the air to glide at high speed.
- The hypersonic aircraft was designed by the CAAA in collaboration with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
- The current generation of anti-missile defence systems is mainly designed to intercept cruise and ballistic missiles, which are either slower or easier to predict, making them possible to intercept.
Source- Times of India
4. IACHR has recently given its advisory opinion on the issue of the institution of asylum and its recognition as a Human Right
- IACHR gave a ruling that all nations have an obligation to ensure safe passage for asylum seekers to their final territory of asylum.
- This came in the light of asylum of Julian Assange, Editor-in-chief of Wiki Leaks, in the Ecuadorian embassy in U.K.
- Julian Assange got political asylum and citizenship by Ecuador in 2012.
- But he is unable to come out of the embassy in U.K because of the arrest warrant issued by U.K court in the charges of sexual assault and rape allegations.
- In this scenario, the advisory opinion by IACHR gives him the moral victory.
- This ruling means that U.K. has an obligation to allow safe passage for Julian Assange to Ecuador, where he has been granted political asylum as well as citizenship.
Inter-American Court of Human Rights(IACHR)
- The Inter-American Court of Human Rights is an autonomous judicial institution based in the city of San José, Costa Rica.
- It makes up the human rights protection system of the Organization of American States (OAS), which serves to uphold and promote basic rights and freedoms in the Americas.
- Founded in 1979.
Source- The Hindu
5. RISECREEK: IIT-Madras develop first indigenous microprocessors
- Computer scientists and a student team from the IIT- Madras have developed the first of a family of six industry-standard microprocessors.
- The initial batch of 300 chips, named RISECREEK were produced under Project Shakti.
- The IIT team says its microprocessors can be adapted by others, as the design is open source. They optimise power use and compete with international units such as the Cortex A5 from Advanced RISC Machines (ARM).
- Project Shakti was started in 2014 as IIT-M initiative and part of it is funded by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Source- The Hindu
6. Bhoomi Rashi- PFMS linkage
- The government has proposed to integrate Bhoomi Rashi with Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
- With the integration of Bhoomi Rashi with PFMS, payment of Compensation by the Ministry to the beneficiaries will be just-in-time, and without any parking of funds.
- Bhoomi Rashi, the portal developed by MoRTH and NIC, comprises the entire revenue data of the country, right down to 6.4 lakh villages.
- The entire process flow, from submission of draft notification by the State Government to its approval by the Hon. Minister of State for RT&H and publication in e-Gazette, is online.
- The portal, created for expediting the process of publication of notifications for LA, is now being fully utilised for issuing the notifications.
- Bhoomi Rashi portal has been instrumental in reducing the time taken for approval and publication of notifications pertaining to land acquisition.
The Public Financial Management System (PFMS)
- The Public Financial Management System (PFMS) is a web-based online software application developed and implemented by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA) and is administered by the Department of Expenditure.
- The primary objective of PFMS is to facilitate sound public financial management system for Government of India (GoI) by establishing an efficient fund flow system as well as a payment cum accounting network.
- PFMS provides various stakeholders with a real-time, reliable and meaningful management information system and an effective decision support system, as part of the Digital India initiative of GoI.
7. Parliament passes Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Parliament passed the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 which ensures stringent punishment for those convicted of raping girls below 12 years of age.
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 stipulates a minimum jail term of 20 years which may go up to life in prison or death sentence, for the rape of a girl under 12 years.
- While perpetrators involved in the gangrape of a girl below 12 years of age will get life imprisonment or death.
- In case of rape of a girl below 16 years, the minimum punishment has been increased from 10 to 20 years and it is extendable to life imprisonment.
- The punishment for the gang-rape of a girl below 16 years of age will invariably be imprisonment for the rest of the life of the convict.
- It has also provided for a six-month time limit for disposal of appeals in rape cases.
- Fast-track special courts will be set up to exclusively deal with rape cases.
- Only a woman judge will hear the rape case and a woman police officer will record the statement of rape victims.
8. Chandrayaan-2 launch postponed
- The launch of India’s second lunar mission ‘Chandrayaan-2’, slated for next month, has been postponed to October. This will be second time mission has been postponed.
- The delay may make India lose the fourth position in the world for soft-landing on the moon to Israel as it too planning to launch moon mission in December 2018.
- Chandrayaan-2 is a totally indigenous mission comprising an orbiter, lander and rover.
- The Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft weighing around 3,290 kg would orbit around the moon and perform the objectives of remote sensing the moon.
- The payloads will collect scientific information on lunar topography, mineralogy, elemental abundance, lunar exosphere and signatures of hydroxyl and water-ice.
- ISRO had launched its maiden lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 in 2008.
Source- Economic Times
9. Man-animal conflict to be listed as the disaster under SDRF by UP govt
- In possibly the first-of-its-kind move, the Uttar Pradesh government has given its in-principle approval to bring man-animal conflict under listed disasters in State Disaster Response Fund to ensure better coordination and relief during such incidents.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has given the nod to bring man-animal conflict in the list of disasters.
- It is to ensure better coordination and relief during such incidents.
- This move will give proper guidelines to handle situations when wild animals venture in human inhabitation.
Note- The Wildlife Protection Act does not have provision for compensation in case any human being or cattle is killed by a wild animal within a protected area.
Source- The Statesman
10. Ajay Data, first Indian in ICANN
- The nominating committee of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has selected Ajay Data as a new council member of Country Code Supporting Organisation (ccNSO).
- The members of ccNSO, which is ICANN’s policy development body for ccTLD (country code top-level domains) issues, are all country code top-level domain operators from around the world.
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a nonprofit organization responsible for coordinating the maintenance and procedures of several databases related to the namespaces and numerical spaces of the Internet, ensuring the network’s stable and secure operation.
- ICANN was incorporated on September 30, 1998.
- It is headquartered in the Playa Vista neighbourhood of Los Angeles, US.
The Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO)
- The Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) is a body within ICANN created by and for country code top-level domains (ccTLD) managers.
- It provides a forum for topical issues relating to ccTLDs from a global perspective.
- Founded in 2003.
Source- Indian Express.