- Andhra Pradesh government launched ‘Anna Canteen’ in Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh government launched an Anna Canteen that serves meals for just Rs five.
- On the line of Amma Canteens in neighbouring state Tamil Nadu, Andhra government inaugurated Anna Canteens which will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner at just Rs 5 to the common man.
- The state government is setting up 203 Anna Canteens in 110 municipalities across the state.
- In the first phase, 60 Anna Canteens have been inaugurated in 25 municipalities.
- Under Phase-2, 143 canteens will be inaugurated at 85 locations by August.
- Andhra Pradesh government has entrusted the responsibility of managing these canteens to Akshaya Patra Foundation.
Source- India Today
- India’s genetically modified crop area fifth largest in world
- India has the world’s fifth largest cultivated area under genetically modified (GM) crops, at 11.4 million hectares (mh) in 2017.
- Its entire GM crop area is under a single crop- cotton- incorporating genes from the Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt soil bacterium coding for resistance against heliothis bollworm insect pests.
- The country with the highest area under transgenic crops, at 75 mh, is the United States.
- ISAAA’s latest ‘Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/ GM Crops in 2017’ report shows farmers across the world to have planted 189.8 mh under transgenic crops last year.
- The report by the global crop biotech advocacy organisation has estimated the highest share in the world’s total 189.8 mh GM crop area for 2017 to be of soyabean (94.1 mh), followed by maize (59.7 mh), cotton (24.1 mh) etc.
- In India, the GM crops that are under regulatory consideration — apart from the already commercialised Bt/insect-resistant cotton — include glyphosate-tolerant cotton and biotech hybrid mustard.
- Genetically modified crops are plants used in agriculture, the DNA of which has been modified using genetic engineering techniques.
- The aim is to introduce a new trait to the plant which does not occur naturally in the species.
- The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC), India’s regulator for genetically modified seeds, had on May 12, 2017, this year cleared GM mustard for environmental release and use in fields.
- DMH-11 is a Genetically Modified (GM) mustard hybrid.
Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) cotton
- Bt cotton is a genetically modified organism (GMO) cotton variety, which produces an insecticide to bollworm.
- Strains of the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis produce over 200 different Bt toxins, each harmful to different insects.
- Bt toxins are insecticidal to the larvae of moths and butterflies, beetles, cotton bollworms and ghtu flies but are harmless to other forms of life.
- The gene coding for Bt toxin has been inserted into cotton as a transgene, causing it to produce this natural insecticide in its tissues.
Source- Indian Express
- Men’s hockey team to get monthly allowance under Target Olympic Podium Scheme
- The Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) of the Sports Ministry approved a monthly allowance of 50 thousand rupees for each of the 18 members of the men’s hockey team under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).
- The monthly allowance under TOPS has been started by the ministry in the year 2017 but the hockey team is getting the pocket allowance for the first time.
- The decision to include hockey was taken after India’s performance improved under new coach Harendra Singh as they finished runners-up in the Champions Trophy in the Netherlands.
- The women’s team could be included in the TOPS after reviewing its performance in the upcoming World Cup and the following Asian Games.
Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme
- The scheme was formulated by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports within the overall ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF).
- The aim of the scheme is to identify and support potential medal prospects for 2016 and 2020 Olympic Games.
- The selected players will be provided financial assistance for their customized training at Institutes having world-class facilities and other necessary support.
- Focused disciplines will be Athletics, Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling and Shooting.
- Mudra Yojana empowering the powerless, funding the unfunded
- The Prime Minister Mudra Yojana is playing a key role in empowering the powerless.
- The scheme has been very successful in promoting and ensuring bank finances to the unfunded segment of the economy.
Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- It is basically a loan scheme launched by GOI April 2015 to provide funding to the non-corporate, non-farm sector income generating activities of micro and small enterprises whose credit needs are below ₹10 Lakh.
- Under the scheme, the government created a MUDRA (Micro Units Development & Refinance Agency Ltd. (MUDRA) Bank to provide the loan to MSME’s.
- MUDRA has created three categories for the loans to the MSME’s. These are-
(a) Shishu: covering loans up to ₹50,000
(b) Kishore: covering loans above ₹50,000 and up to ₹5,00,000
(c) Tarun: covering loans above ₹5,00,000 and up to ₹10,00,000
Source- DD News
- BSNL launched India’s first internet telephony service ‘Wings’
- BSNL unveiled India’s first internet telephony service called ‘Wings’.
- Starting July 25th, Wings will allow users to dial any telephone number in India through its mobile app.
- And with this, BSNL has become first Mobile Operator to Launch Internet Telephony Services in the country.
- The new BSNL service will allow users to dial any telephone number in India through its mobile app.
- Customers will have to download the ‘Wings App’ and configure it with the Landline number.
- ‘Wings’ will allow customers to make the unlimited video or audio calls by paying an annual fee of Rs 1,099.
Source- DD News
Notification Out - PSU Through GATE 2019 - Click On Links