- Gujarat tops Niti Aayog’s composite water management index
- The government has ranked Gujarat as the top state in composite water management in the country followed by Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharashtra.
- While Tripura has emerged as the top performer in north-east, Rajasthan has emerged as the best performer in the incremental progress over last two years.
- Niti Aayog has ranked all states through first of its kind index on the composite water management comprising of nine parameters and 28 indicators.
- These include various aspects of groundwater, restoration of water bodies, irrigation, farm practices, drinking water, policy and governance.
- For the purposes of analysis, the reporting states were divided into two special groups – ‘North Eastern and Himalayan states’ and ‘Other States’, to account for the different hydrological conditions across these groups.
- This index will help build pressure on states who have not performed well to improve their water management techniques as this is directly linked to agriculture prosperity in different states.
Source- Economic Times
- Indian scientists developed an environment-friendly device “GreenDispo” to dispose of sanitary napkins
- Indian scientists launched a new high-tech device “GreenDispo” to ensure that the growing popularity of sanitary napkins does not end up becoming an environmental nightmare.
Concerns regarding the Inappropriate handling of the used pads
- Inappropriate handling of the used pads is already posing a major challenge as the pads grow harmful pathogens causing serious health and environmental hazards.
- In addition, blocking of drainage paths due to the disposed of napkins is becoming a critical issue.
How will the new device help?
- The device has been designed in such that it will incinerate the sanitary napkins completely with minimal flue gas emission.
- The specially designed heaters of the device generated a temperature of more than 800 degrees Celsius, which helped in complete combustion of the used pad.
- It also had a secondary heating chamber with a temperature of 1050 degrees Celsius to take care of any hazardous emissions from the incinerator.
- Use of ceramic holders for the device to ensure that the heat is channelized most effectively.
Source- Down to Earth
- “Baobabs”- Biggest and longest-living angiosperm tree
- Baobabs, the “biggest and longest-living angiosperm tree” of Africais fast dying and scientists suspect climate change to be the cause.
- The baobabs are mainly present in southern Africa, particularly in the savannah region, live anywhere between 1,100 and 2,500 years.
What are the concerns?
- Within a matter of few years, there has been a rapid increase in the apparently natural deaths of many mature baobabs, which are popularly known as the “upside down trees”.
- This is when Africa is the least responsible for climate change.
Benefits of the tree
- The baobabs can grow in the harshest of conditions while adapting to their environment by shedding leaves to require less water, being able to access water during dry seasons through tap roots and being unaffected by bushfires owing to its thick bark.
- Medicinal benefits
- Provide fruit etc.
Source- Down to Earth
- Solar Charkha Mission
- The Solar Charkha Mission of the Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), will be launched by the President on June 27, 2018 in New Delhi.
- The Mission will cover 50 clusters and every cluster will employ 400 to 2000 artisans.
- The scheme also aims at linking five crore women across the country to the initiative.
- The Mission will disburse subsidy of Rs. 550 crores to the artisans.
- Fifteen new state-of-the-art technology centres are being set up all over the country including North-East, of which 10 centres will become operational by March 2019.
- The work being done by the Ministry has promoted Ease-of-Doing-Business with the setting up of 4 portals:
(a) MSME Sambandh
(b) MSME Samadhaan
(c) Udyog Aadhaar and
(d) Udyam Sakhi
- Indian Railways introduce mobile app “utsonmobile” to book unreserved tickets
- The Railways has introduced a new mobile application “utsonmobile” which will enable booking and cancellation of unreserved tickets.
- The app will also enable issue and renewal of season and platform tickets, check and load R-wallet balance and help maintain user profile management and booking history.
- The application is developed by Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS) and it can be used by both Android and Windows phones.
Source- Indian Express
- Express-OCCRP report
- AT Least 21 Indians who were investigated by The Indian Express in partnership with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) for their ties to offshore entities in tax havens are linked to the high-end real estate in Dubai.
- The database was accessed by The Indian Express in partnership with the Organised Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP), an international investigative reporting platform formed by 40 non-profit investigative centres, and journalists and regional organisations. The entries were investigated by around 50 media groups in as many countries.
International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ)
- It is an independent Washington D.C.-based international network.
- ICIJ became a fully independent organisation in February 2017 which includes more than 200 investigative journalists and 100 media organizations in over 70 countries.
- They work together on “issues such as “cross-border crime, corruption, and the accountability of power.
- The ICIJ’s most recent investigation is the 2017 Paradise Papers, a cross-border, global investigation that reveals the offshore activities of some of the world’s most powerful people and companies.
Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP)
- It was founded in 2006, is a consortium of investigative centres, media and journalists operating in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia and Central America.
- It is a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- OCCRP is the only full-time investigative reporting organization that specializes in organized crime and corruption.
Source- Indian Express + Wiki
Notification Out - PSU Through GATE 2019 - Click On Links