Honour & Awards
1. Sulabh International founder Dr. Pathak awarded 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize
- The founder of Sulabh International ‘Dr. Bindeshar Pathak’ (India), Ma Jun (China) & Professor Nguyen Thanh Liem (Vietnam) have been honored with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development.
- The prizes will be awarded on 13th June this year in Tokyo, Japan.
- In 1970, Dr. Pathak founded the Sulabh International that works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation among other social services.
- Nikkei Inc. (one of the largest media corporations in Japan) has been presenting the awards to honor people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas (Economic and Business Innovation, Science, Technology and Environment and Culture and Community).
2. Sikkim celebrates its foundation day today
- On 16th May 1975, Sikkim became a part of Indian state after the 35th Constitutional Amendment.
- During the British rule in India, the kingdom of Sikkim enjoyed a sovereign status with British protectorate against the neighboring countries Nepal and China.
- This ‘subordinate alliance’ with the British was carried on by the newly formed Indian government after 1947.
- Sikkim is located in the northeast part of India, and notable for its biodiversity, including alpine and subtropical climates.
3. 16th May: National Dengue Day
- The Government of India (GoI) has declared 16th May as National Dengue Day to mark the toll from the deadly disease ‘Dengue’(transmitted by the bite of Aedes mosquito).
- The day has been taking in terms of lives and to reaffirm nationwide efforts to tackle the scourge by using both education and medical intervention.
- Dengue is a viral disease which includes symptoms such as high-grade fever 2 to 7 days and headache, vomiting, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash.
4. Telangana to provide 2% quota for sportspersons in government jobs
- Telangana govt. has issued an order to provide two percent reservationin government jobs in the state to meritorious sportspersons
- The reservation would be applicable to 29 recognized sports disciplines
- It will not affect the overall percentage of reservation in the state.
5. J P Nadda inaugurates two-day risk communication workshop
- The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri J P Naddainaugurated a two-day workshop on ‘Risk Communication during Public Health Emergencies’ at Shimla.
- According to the Mr. Nadda, the public health functionaries for keeping their communication simple and effective during the delivery of healthcare services.
6. PNB posts biggest ever quarterly loss of 13,417 cr in Q4
- The Punjab National Bank (PNB) has posted the largest-ever quarterly loss of Rs 13,416.91 crore for January-March period, mainly due to high provisioning for bad loans.
- The bank had reported a staggering standalone profit of Rs. 261.90 crorein the fourth quarter of 2016-17.
- Total income for the fourth quarter also declined to Rs 12,945.68 crore from Rs. 14,989.33 crores in the year-ago period.
7. Odia actress Anita Das passes away
- Popular Odia film and veteran TV actress Anita Das (62-year) passed away due to a cardiac at her residence.
- Anita Das won the hearts of many with her powerful roles in films like Suna Chadhei and Naga Phasa to name a few.
- She has acted in over hundred movies making her feature film debut with Jajabar in 1975.
8. Eminent Warli artist Jivya Soma Mashe passes away
- Noted artist Jivya Soma Mashe (84-year) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- He had received the Padma Shri in 2011 for his contribution towards the Warli painting.
- In 1976, he had got the National Award for the Tribal Art.
- He significantly contributed to the culture and development of the Warlis, a tribe living predominantly in the mountainous and coastal areas of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
9. N Korea cancels high-level talks with South Korea
- North Korea has canceled high-level talks with South Korea over Seoul’s joint military exercises with the US.
- Earlier, around 100 warplanes of the US and South Korea began the Max Thunder drills.
- The talks with South Korea were to take place at Panmunjom, a military compound in the demilitarised zone between the two countries.
- Pyongyang has also threatened to cancel the summit between its leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump scheduled on the 12th of June this year.
10. UNSC to hold an emergency meeting on violence along Gaza-Israeli border
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) hold an emergency meeting to discuss the violence along the Gaza-Israeli border.
- Earlier, more than 50 Palestinians died after Israeli forces fired on people who were protesting the US embassy move to Jerusalem.
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged both sides to show restraint to avoid further loss of life.
11. Shashank Manohar to serve the 2nd term as ICC chairman
- Former BCCI President ‘Shashank Manohar’ elected by the governing body’s Board for the second term as the independent chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) for two-years.
- He twice served as the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI).
- He served as the chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) from November 2015 to March 2017.
- Mr. Manohar was the sole nominee for the position, Edward Quinlan (independent Audit Committee Chairman) overseeing the election process, declared the process complete.
12. Mukul Rohatgi appointed eminent jurist in selection panel for Lokpal
- Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi has been appointed as ’eminent jurist’ in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee led by the Prime Minister.
- In May 2014, Rohatgi was appointed the Attorney General of India and resigned from the post in June 2017.
- The post of an eminent jurist in the Lokpal selection panel was lying vacant since the death of senior advocate P P Rao (11th September 2017).