- Scientists find new eel species in Odisha, name it Odishi
- Scientists at the Zoological Survey of India in Odisha have discovered a new species of moray eel from the Bay of Bengal and named it “Odishi”, after the state in which it was first found.
- Eels, which are long and slender fishes, are important components of aquatic ecosystems.
- They prey on smaller organisms like snails and crabs and become food for larger fishes, making them important links in the food chain.
- It differed from other species of short unpatterned eels in having a black spot behind the eye, more number of vertebrae and fins, white rims to jaw pores and larger eyes, the authors note in their paper.
- Before we found the Odishi eel, there was only a single species of brown short unpatterned eel – Gymnothorax mishrai known from India.
What are the concerns?
- The locals of the area engage in fishing for food and eels do accidentally get caught.
- Hence, it is important that we regulate fishing in the country to ensure its conservation and safety of other aquatic species.
Source- Down to Earth
- Cyclone Sagar: IMD issues advisory to 5 states, 1 union territory
- Indian Meteorological Department has issued an advisory to Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and the Lakshadweep archipelago over cyclonic storm ‘Sagar’.
- The cyclonic storm lay centred over the Gulf of Aden, about 390 km east-northeast of Yemen’s Aden city and 560 km west-northwest of Socotra Islands.
- It is located between the Socotra Passage and the Arabian Sea, is the largest of four islands of the Socotra archipelago.
- It lies some 240 kilometres east of the Horn of Africa and 380 kilometres south of the Arabian Peninsula.
India Meteorological Department (IMD)
- It is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India.
- It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology.
- IMD is headquartered in Delhi and operates hundreds of observation stations across India and Antarctica.
- Regional offices are at Mumbai, Kolkata, Nagpur and Pune.
- IMD is also one of the six Regional Specialised Meteorological Centres of the World Meteorological Organization.
- It has the responsibility for forecasting, naming and distribution of warnings for tropical cyclones in the Northern Indian Ocean region, including the Malacca Straits, the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf.
- Intellectual Property mascot – IP Nani
- The Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu launched theIntellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani – at the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
- Mascot IP Nani is a tech-savvy grandmother who helps the government and enforcement agencies in combating IP crimes with the help of her grandson “Chhotu” aka Aditya.
- The IP mascot will spread awareness about the importance of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) among people, especially children, in an interesting manner.
- This character is also in line with the World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) campaign for the World IP Day which celebrates the brilliance, ingenuity, curiosity and courage of the women who are driving change in our world and shaping our common future.
- The National IPR Policy was approved by the Union Cabinet on 12th May 2016.
- The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), a professional body under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) collaborated with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EU-IPO) to produce a series of animated videos on IPRs for children with IP Nani as their central character.
- Newest frog “Microhyla kodial” for India from Karnataka
- The latest addition to India’s frog fauna is the Mangaluru narrow-mouthed frog, which has been found in a small industrial region in coastal Karnataka.
- The new find is christened Microhyla kodial after the city of Mangaluru (called kodial in the Konkani language) from where they spotted it two years ago.
- The greyish-brown frog is just 2 cm long, a thick olive-green band on its head, less-prominent dark green bands on the rest of its body and a few other physical features also set it apart from other similar-looking frogs.
- The Mangaluru narrow-mouthed frog is the 42nd species belonging to the genus Microhyla recorded from south Asia.
Source- The Hindu
- Arab League calls for probe into alleged crimes by Israeli forces against Palestinians
- Arab League called for an international probe into alleged crimes by Israeli forces against Palestinians following mass protests on the Gaza border that saw dozens of demonstrators killed.
- The Arab League is a regional organization of Arab countries in and around North Africa, the Horn of Africa and Arabia.
- Currently, the League has 22 members, but Syria’s (which was the founding member) participation has been suspended since November 2011, as a consequence of government repression during the Syrian Civil War.
Horn of Africa
- The Horn of Africa denotes the region containing the countries of Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Somalia.
- Guwahati became India’s first railway station run by solar power
- The project of installing solar panels was commissioned last year in April 2017.
- The solar-powered station is aimed at reducing carbon-footprint as well as cut down power costs drastically.
Source- Business Standards