- ‘Rani Rashmoni’ commissioned
- The last of the five Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) project of Indian Coast Guard ‘Rani Rashmoni’ was commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard.
- So far four such ships such as-
(a) ICGS Rani Abbakka,
(b) ICGS Rani Avanti Bai,
(c) ICGS Rani Durgavati and
(d) ICGS Rani Gaidinliu
have been commissioned and are in active service at various locations on the eastern seaboard.
- The FPVs are equipped with advanced sensors and state-of-the-art equipment and are designed to perform multifarious tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue, anti-smuggling and anti-poaching, operations.
- The 51-metre ship is propelled by three MTU 4000 series diesel engines of 2720 capacity each, coupled with Rolls Royce Kamewa jets.
- The patrol vessel is fitted with an advanced Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), to carry out search and rescue operations.
- The FPV was indigenously built by Hindustan Shipyard.
- The ship will be based in Visakhapatnam.
- the shipyard has done well overall weight reduction and achieving the contractual speed of 34 knots.
Source- The Hindu
- Volcano erupts on the small Galapagos isle
- The La Cumbre volcano, located on Fernandina Island in the Galapagos archipelago off the coast of South America, has exploded recently.
- The eruption occurred on the north-eastern sector of the volcano.
- Ongoing seismic and volcanic activity reflects the processes that formed the islands.
- They lie 1,000 km from the coast of Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean.
- According to UNESCO, “This archipelago and its immense marine reserve is known as the unique ‘living museum and showcase of evolution’.
- The 19 Galapagos Islands, a UNESCO heritage site, with their unique wildlife, inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution following his 1835 visit.
- Its geographical location at the confluence of three ocean currents makes it one of the richest marine ecosystems in the world.
Source- Down to Earth
- ‘COP CONNECT mobile App for Telangana police launched
- ‘COP CONNECT’, a mobile app to support the professional communication and collaboration needs of the entire police department of Telangana has been launched.
- The app will connect over 60,000 police force across 31 districts in the state.
- COP CONNECTs end-to-end encryption with the server being with Police Department ensures absolute security and confidentiality of internal Police communication.
Source- Business Standard
- Gaming addiction classified as ‘mental health disorder’ by WHO
- The WHO’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD), a reference bible of recognized and diagnosable diseases, classified addiction to digital and video gaming as “mental health disorder”.
- The WHO’s expert said an addicted gamer “loses control over the gaming and ignores other essential activities like sleep, like eating, like taking part in education or work.”
- The WHO stressed that only a small minority of people who play digital and video games would develop a problem but said recognition of early warning signs may help prevent it.
International Classification of Diseases (ICD)
- The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the international “standard diagnostic tool for epidemiology, health management and clinical purposes.
- The ICD is published by the WHO.
- It forms a basis for the WHO and other experts to see and respond to trends in health.
- This latest version – known as ICD-11 – is completely electronic for the first time, in an effort to make it more accessible to doctors and other health workers around the world.
Source- DD News
- 11th Common Review Mission (CRM) report
- Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare released the 11thCommon Review Mission (CRM) report of the National Health Mission (NHM).
- India has registered a record 22% reduction in MMR since 2013, which is the highest percentage decline so far when compared to all the previous reductions in MMR as per the earlier rounds of SRS.
- Maternal Mortality Ratio in India has declined from 167 in 2011-2013 to 130 in 2014-2016.
- The Ministry has undertaken to strengthen Sub Health Centres as Health and Wellness Centres (HWC-SHC) in a phased manner so as to meet the commitment of operationalizing 1,50,000 HWC by 2022.
National Health Mission (NHM)
- The National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) was launched on 12th April 2005, to provide accessible, affordable and accountable quality health services to the poorest households in the remotest rural regions.
- From narrowly defined schemes, the NHM was shifting the focus to a functional health system at all levels, from the village to the district.
- National Health Mission (NHM) was launched by the government of India in 2013 subsuming the National Rural Health Mission and National Urban Health Mission.
- NHM provides multi-sectoral flexibility and convergence to the States to implement shared health goals.
- Annual Common Review Mission has been one of the important monitoring mechanisms under NHM.
- Eleventh Common Review Missions (CRMs) undertaken so far have provided the valuable understanding of the strategies which were successful and those which warranted mid-course adjustments.
- IAF MI 17 uses Bambi Bucket to Douse Offshore fire on the ship
- A Mi-17 V5 Helicopter of the Indian Air force was requisitioned for dousing the flames on a merchant’s vessel MV SSL on the shores of Sunderbans.
- The Helicopter carried out Bambi bucket operations from Franzergunj Harbour helipad in West Bengal.
- The operations by IAF Mi-17 V5 Helicopter controlled the massive fire and fully doused it within a short period of time.
- Shri Nitin Gadkari to attend the conference on “International Decade for Action: Water for Sustainable Development 2018-2028” in Tajikistan
- Union Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari is left for a two-day official visit to Tajikistan from 20-21 June 2018.
- He will attend a high-level conference on “International Decade for Action: Water for Sustainable Development 2018-2028” being held in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- The conference aims to promote national, regional and international action on integrated and sustainable water resources management worldwide.
2018-2028 International Decade for Action, ‘Water for Sustainable Development’
- Sustainable development and integrated water resources management to implement SDG 6 through a lens of conflict prevention.
SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) 6– Clean Water and Sanitation.
- The United Nations General Assembly has proclaimed the decade 2018-2028 as the International Decade for Action ‘Water for Sustainable Development’.
- It began on World Water Day 22 March 2018 and will end on World Water Day, 22 March 2028.
Notification Out - PSU Through GATE 2019 - Click On Links