15 October Important Posts (Click On Post To Read)
- ‘Green Good Deeds’ Movement Launched by Environment ministry gets Global Recognition.
- ‘Green Good Deeds’ is a societal movement launched to protect the environment and promote good living in the country.
- The nationwide campaign aims to ensure the cooperation of thousands of people – students, teachers, NGOs, RWAs and professionals to adopt these deeds.
- The ongoing BRICS Ministerial on Environment at Durban, South Africa, has agreed to include “Green Good Deeds” in its official agenda.
- India gears up defence forces with Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- The government has started work on incorporating AI in armed forces to enhance its operational preparedness.
- It includes equipping them with unmanned tanks, vessels, aerial vehicles and robotic weaponry.
- India is the fourth country in line after US, Russia and China.
- This policy initiative will prepare India for next-generation warfare.
- AI is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems.
- It refers to the branch of computer science that enables the system to process information and produce the outcome that a human would.
- AI system learns from experience, uses the learning to reason, recognizes images, solves complex problems, understands languages and creates perspectives.
- Particular applications of AI include expert systems, speech recognition and machine vision.
Source: The Hindu and air news
- 15th SCO Cultural Ministers’ meeting recently concluded at Sanya, China.
- India participated for the first time at the meeting as the full-time member.
- Key discussions of the SCO meeting focused on –
(a) Achieving more in-depth and creative multilateral cultural cooperation.
(b) Regional cultural cooperation and mutual understanding of the people.
SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization)
- SCO is a Eurasian political, economic and military organization which was established in 2001 at Shanghai by China Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Russia.
- India and Pakistan became 7th and 8th members of the grouping.
- It has four observer states- Afghanistan, Iran, Mongolia and Belarus.
- It’s aims at building mutual trust and cooperation in various fields.
- INS Tarini is about to return after circumnavigating the globe.
- An all women crew, INS Tarini is about to return after circumnavigating the globe under Navika Sagar Parikrama Project.
- This will be the first-ever circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew of Indian Navy.
Navika Sagar Parikarma Expedition:
- The Navika Sagar Parikrama expedition was flagged-off at Goa in September 2017.
- The vessel is skippered by Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi.
- The expedition is consonance with the national policy to empower women to attain their full potential.
- It also aims to showcase Nari Shakti on the world platform and help in transforming societal attitudes.
Source: AIR news
- India pushes for AYUSH and YOGA at World Health Assembly.
- The Indian government has pushed for a yoga session ahead of the annual WHO event in Switzerland to propagate AYUSH globally.
- This is an important tool in strengthening India’s soft diplomacy.
- AYUSH is the non-allopathic medical systems in India comprising of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
- Benefits of AYUSH system are:
(a) It addresses gaps in health services.
(b) It provides low-cost services in far-flung areas.
(c) It can provide the best care to elderly.
(d) The problem of tobacco and drug abuse can be tackled by AYUSH especially through Yoga.
(e) Useful in lifestyle diseases like diabetes and hypertension.
(f) The large part of the population prefers AYUSH as it is perceived to have lower side effects.
The concept of AYUSH Gram
- One village per block can be selected for implementation of integrated primary care protocols of AYUSH and modern system of medicine.
- Following should be implemented in these villages:
(a) Herbal medicinal gardens
(b) Regular Yoga camps should be organized preferably through PRI institutions.
(c) Basic knowledge of hygiene, promotion of health and prevention of diseases
Source: The Indian Express
- Waste-to-energy project: Mumbai civic body to conduct the geological survey of a Deonar dumping ground
- Initiating waste-to-energy project, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to conduct a geological survey for landfill.
- The BMC intends to convert the debris into electricity.
- This is amidst intermittent fires at Deonar and Mulund dumping grounds over the last few years that have attracted national attention.
- The waste-to-energy plant is waste management facility that combusts wastes to produce electricity.
- This type of power plant is sometimes called trash-to-energy, municipal waste incineration, energy recovery or resource recovery plant.
- Modern waste to energy plants is very different from the trash incinerators that were commonly used until a few decades ago.
Source: The Indian Express
- National Mission for Clean Ganga asks DDA to expedite ‘Asita’
- Asita is its Yamuna River Front Development Project aimed at restore, revive and rejuvenate the river’s floodplain.
National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG):
- The new council for River Ganga will replace the existing National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) for pollution prevention and rejuvenation of Ganga.
- It will ensure the existence and implementation of an action plan under various Departments, Ministries and States.
- The NMCG will have a two-tier structure with a Governing Council and an Executive Committee.
- NMCG will comply with the decisions of the National Ganga Council.
- At the state level, State Ganga Committees would be formed for proper implementation.
- Similarly, District Ganga Committees would be formed in each Ganga Bank District and they shall be monitored by the State Committees.
- The special focus of the revamped structure would be to maintain ecological flows in Ganga.
- NMCG will only take action in case of non-compliance when CPCB (Central Pollution Control Board) does not do so.
- CPCB can also take action jointly with NMCG
Notification Out - PSU Through GATE 2019 - Click On Links