- UN E-Government Development Survey
- With an EGDI index score of 0.5669, India is just above the world average of 0.55.
- It scored a rank of 96 among 193 countries.
- The UN E-Government Development Survey is the only global initiative to measure and track how governments are faring on the e-governance front.
- Prepared by United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs(UN-DESA)
- It conducts a bi-annual e-government survey.
- It is a comparative ranking of 193 countries of the world according to three primary indicators:
1. The OSI – Online Service Index that measures the online presence of the government in terms of service delivery.
2. The TII – Telecommunication Infrastructure Index.
- HCI -Human Capital Index.
- Top 4 Countries:
|3. Republic of Korea||0.9010|
|4. United Kingdom||0.8999|
Source- The Hindu
- National Consultation for Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition.
- National Consultation for Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition organised by the M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation was inaugurated by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu to address the persistent problem of malnutrition in the country.
- Calorie deficiency, protein deficiency and micro-nutrient deficiency are the kinds of nutritional deficiency observed in India which has adopted the National Nutrition Strategy in September 2017 to address malnutrition.
National Nutrition Strategy
- National Nutrition Strategy was launched by the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog on 6th September 2017 aimed at Kuposhan Mukt Bharat.
- It intends at bringing nutrition to the centre-stage of National Development Agenda.
- The nutrition strategy envisages a framework wherein the four proximate determinants of nutrition – uptake of health services, food, drinking water & sanitation and income & livelihoods – work together to accelerate the decline of undernutrition in India.
- Unified Commanders’ Conference 2018.
- A two-day Unified Commanders’ Conference will begin in New Delhi to review external security challenges as well as the country’s preparedness.
- The Conference will be conducted under the tutelage of Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff (HQ IDS) and will be attended by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, State Defence Minister, National Security Advisor, the Chiefs of Army, Navy and Air Force and other Senior Military and Civil Officials of the Ministry of Defence and Tri-Service Organisations/Institutions.
- The Annual Conference provides a platform for discussions at the Apex Level on all ‘Joint Issues’ amongst the three Services and Ministry of Defence and enables stock-taking of the previous year and planning the way ahead for the next year.
- The scope of this conference has been enhanced this year to enable the forum to facilitate joint stock-taking of the previous year’s performance of all Services and Departments of Ministry of Defence and jointly chart the course for the next year.
- Indian Railways launches Mission Satyanishtha on ethics in public governance for its employees
In first of its kind event held by any government organisation, the Indian Railways organised a programme on Ethics in Public Governance and launched “Mission Satyanishtha” held at National Rail Museum, New Delhi.
- “Mission Satyanishtha” launched on July 27 aims at sensitizing all railway employees about the need to adhere to good ethics and to maintain high standards of integrity at work.
- The objectives of the Mission are:
- To train every employee to understand the need and value of ethics in Personal and Public life.
- To deal with ethical dilemmas in life and Public Governance.
- To help understand the policies of Indian Railways on ethics and integrity and the employee’s role in upholding the same.
- To develop inner governance through tapping inner resources.
- National Viral Hepatitis Control Program
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Mr J P Nadda, in collaboration with the World Health Organisation, launched the National Viral Hepatitis Control Program to mark the World Hepatitis Day, 2018.
- It is a part of the National Health Mission.
- The goal is to end viral hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030.
- The aim of the initiative is to reduce morbidity and mortality due to viral hepatitis.
- The key strategies include:
- Preventive and promotive interventions with the focus on awareness generation.
- Safe injection practices and sociocultural practices.
- Sanitation and hygiene.
- Safe drinking water supply.
- Infection control and immunization.
- Treatment centres will be designated to provide free anti-viral to hepatitis C patients and hepatitis B vaccine to babies born to mothers carrying the virus within 24 hours of birth.
National Health Mission
- National Health Mission was launched by the government of India in 2013 subsuming the National Rural Health Mission and the National Urban Health Mission. It was further extended in March 2018, to continue till March 2020.
- NHM envisages achievement of universal access to equitable, affordable & quality health care services that are accountable and responsive to people’s needs.
- It seeks to ensure the achievement of the following indicators.
- Reduce Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) to 1/1000 live births
- Reduce Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) to 25/1000 live births
- Reduce Total Fertility Rate (TFR) to 2.1
- Prevention and reduction of anaemia in women aged 15–49 years
- Prevent and reduce mortality & morbidity from communicable, non-communicable; injuries and emerging diseases
- Reduce household out-of-pocket expenditure on total healthcare expenditure
- Reduce annual incidence and mortality from Tuberculosis by half
- Reduce the prevalence of Leprosy to <1/10000 population and incidence to zero in all districts
- Annual Malaria Incidence to be <1/1000
- Less than 1 per cent microfilaria prevalence in all districts
- Kala-azar Elimination by 2015, <1 case per 10000 population in all blocks
World Hepatitis Day
- World Hepatitis Day, observed on July 28 every year, aims to raise global awareness of hepatitis — a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E — and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Hepatitis causes acute and chronic disease.
Note- Hepatitis refers to an inflammatory condition of the liver. It’s commonly caused by a viral infection.
- Govt to roll out DigiYatra offering for air passengers soon.
Having worked on the DigiYatra project for over a year, the Ministry of Civil Aviation is close to rolling out this service at airports in a few months.
- DigiYatra is an industry-led initiative coordinated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in line with Digital India programme.
- It aims to transform the flying experience for passengers and position Indian Aviation amongst the most innovative aviation networks in the world.
- The basic objective is to reduce queues at airports and bring efficiency to the boarding process
- The facility will use digital technology to enhance air passenger experience all the way from ticket booking to airport entry check, security check and aircraft boarding.
- This will also facilitate walk-through security scanners swiftly owing to advanced biometric security solutions.
- The DigiYatra programme is expected to be initially rolled out at airports in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Varanasi and Vijayawada.
Source- The Hindu
- SEBI has recently proposed allowing investors to use the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) while bidding for shares in initial public offerings.
The aim is to reduce the timeline of public issues to T+3, wherein the equity shares would be listed on the exchanges on the third day from the day the IPO closes for the subscription.
UPI(Unified Payments Interface)
- Unified Payments Interface is a payment system through which investors can link more than one bank account in their smartphone app and make fund transfers instantly without having to provide IFSC code or account number.
- An investor will only have to use a virtual address, known as a Virtual Payment Address (VPA), which is like our email ID, to carry out the transaction. VPA is an identifier that is created by the user by linking his bank account to the mobile payment application.
- UPI, which was developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), is regulated by the RBI.
- Some of the UPI apps available are BHIM, PhonePe and Google Tez.
Source- The Hindu
- India to give flash flood warning to Asian nations.
- India has been designated as a nodal centre for preparing flash-flood forecasts by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- That means India will have to develop a customised model that can issue an advance warning of floods in Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand.
- IMD would be working to customise a weather model, developed by the United States and donated to the WMO, to warn of flash floods at least six hours in advance.
- The proposed model would provide forecasts by computing the likelihood of rainfall and the soil moisture levels to warn of possible floods, he said. Though Pakistan was among the list of countries that would benefit from the forecast, it had refused to participate in the scheme.
Central Water Commission
- In India, the Central Water Commission monitors India’s dams, warns of rising water levels in the reservoirs, which are usually taken to be signs of imminent floods.
- It was formed in 1945.
- Under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation.
- To promote integrated and sustainable development and management of India’s Water Resources by using state-of-art technology and competency and coordinating all stake holders.
Note-The organisation has recently tied up with Google to develop a software application to visualise rising water levels during heavy rains.
World Meteorological Organization
- The World Meteorological Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- With a membership of 191 Member States and Territories.
- It originated from the International Meteorological Organization, which was founded in 1873.
- It is for meteorology (weather and climate), operational hydrology and related geophysical science.
- Formed in 23rd March 1950.
- Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Source- The Hindu
Notification Out - PSU Through GATE 2019 - Click On Links