IIT Guwahati Admit Card Available – Click Here
- When will I receive my admit card?
Admit Card can ONLY be downloaded from http://appsgate.iitg.ac.in/ from 5th January 2018. Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post or as email attachment.
- Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
NO. The Admit Card has to be brought to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification, whose details have been entered while filling the application.ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, valid College ID, Employee Identification Card or driving License. Candidates in international Centers need to bring any valid identification as was mentioned in their application. Candidates will not be permitted to take the exam if the original and valid photo identification is not presented.
- Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the test?
A scribble pad will be provided to the candidate that can be used to do the rough work. The candidate has to return the scribble pad after the examination.
- Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test?
NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. Candidates are allowed to leave the computer laboratory where the exam will be conducted only after the closure of the test at the scheduled end of examination in a session.
- What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Only admit card, identification card and a pen shall be permitted to be taken by the candidate to be taken inside the examination hall. Candidates whose enrollment ids have been displayed on website as provisional, need to bring the required documents and submit it in the examination hall to the authorities. A simple wrist watch without any calculation device is permissible. Water and toilet facilities are available in the examination center.
- Can I use a physical calculator during the examination?
NO. During the online GATE 2018 examination, all candidates will be provided with a virtual scientific calculator which has to be used to answer the questions. No physical calculator will be allowed inside the examination hall. The same applies to mobile phones and wrist watches with calculation facility. GATE 2018 will not provide any storage space at examination locations for such objects. If a candidate brings personal belongings including mobile phones, those will have to be kept outside the examination hall at the candidate’s risk. If the candidate is found to be in possession (even if not using) of any calculator and mobile phone and wrist watch with calculation facility, he/she shall be disqualified and the result shall not be declared for the candidate.
- Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
NO. Such arrangements will not be possible at the test center.
- What happens if a physical calculator (even on an electronic watch) or a mobile phone (even in switched off mode) is found in my possession in the examination hall?
Such cases will naturally constitute violation of GATE 2018 rules and will lead to disqualification of the candidature. All such candidates were disqualified in GATE 2017.
- What is a NAT question?
For Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections, the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions. The answer can be a number such as 10 (an integer only). The answer may be in decimals as well, for example, 10.1 (one decimal) or 10.01 (two decimals) or 10.001 (three decimals). In each NAT question, the decimal places up to which the answer should be given shall be mentioned. Wherever not mentioned in the question paper for the required decimal places to be entered, it is better to give NAT answer up to a maximum of three decimal places ONLY.
♠ Also Check : GATE 2018 Admit Card Download Here
Instructions on Admit card (to be followed before entry in the examination center/hall)
- The Admit Card must be presented for verification along with at least one original (not photocopy or scanned copy) valid photo identification proof (for example: valid passport/PAN CARD/Voter ID/Aadhar UID/Valid College ID/Employee ID/Driving License.
- The Admit Card is valid only if the candidate’s photograph and signature images are legible. To ensure this, please take a clearly legible, preferable colour print-out of this Admit Card on an A4 Sized paper.
- Candidates must report at the examination venue 60 minutes before scheduled commencement of the examination.
- Candidates will be permitted to appear for the examination ONLY after their credentials are verified by Centre officials.
- Candidates will be permitted to occupy their allotted seats 35 minutes before the scheduled start of the examination. Candidates can login and start reading the necessary instructions 20 minutes before start of the examination.
- Candidates are advised to locate the examination centre and its accessibility at least a day before the examination, so that they can reach the centre on time for the examination.
- No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination hall after 09:30 Hours (IST) in the forenoon session and after 14:30 Hours (IST) in the Afternoon Session. This shall be followed very very strictly and NO pleading shall be accepted.
- Candidates will not be permitted to leave the examination hall before the end of the examination.
- A virtual scientific calculator will be available on computer screen during the examination. Personal calculators, mobile phones or any other electronic devices not allowed in the examination hall. Candidates should not bring any charts/tables/papers into the examination hall. GATE authorities will not be responsible for safe keep of candidate’s personal belongings.
- Scribble pads will be provided to candidates for rough work. A candidate has to write his/her name and registration number on the scribble pad before he/she starts using it. The scribble pad must be returned to the invigilator at the end of the examination.
General Instructions in the examination hall (to be followed after entry in the examination center/hall) :
- Total duration of examination is 180 minutes.Calculator is available on the screen. If you choose to have a full screen view, you can hide the answer palette by clicking on the arrow marks.
- The clock will be set at the server. The countdown timer in the top right corner of screen will display the remaining time available for you to complete the examination. When the timer reaches zero, the examination will end by itself. You will not be required to end or submit your examination.
- The Question Palette displayed on the right side of screen will show the status of each question using one of the following symbols:
Navigating to a Question:
- Click on the question number in the Question Palette to go to that question directly.
- You can view all the questions by clicking on the Question Paper button. Note that the options for multiple choice type questions will not be shown.
Answering a Question :
- Procedure for answering a multiple choice type question:
- To select your answer, click on the button of one of the options.
- To deselect your chosen answer, click on the button of the chosen option again or click on the Clear Response button.
- To change your chosen answer, click on the button of another option.
- Procedure for answering a numerical answer type question:
- To enter a number as your answer, use the virtual numerical keypad.
- A fractional number in decimal notation (eg. -0.3 or -.3) can be entered as an answer with or without ‘0’ before the decimal point.
- To clear your answer, click on the Clear Response button.
- To change your answer to a question that has already been answered, first select that question for answering and then follow the procedure for answering that type of question.
Saving your answer
- To save your answer, you MUST click on the Save & Next button. To mark the question for review, click on the Mark for Review & Next button.
- After completion of examination time (180 minutes) all the answers shall be automatically submitted.
- Kindly go through various symbols used in the test and understand their meanings before starting the examination.
- After the start of the examination, you can view all the questions in the question paper, by clicking on the Question Paper button on the screen.
- The GATE paper consists 85 marks subject specific and General Aptitude (GA) section for 15 marks. Both are compulsory.
- The useful data, if given in the question paper, should be used for answer. If no such data are given, and the candidate needs any such data, he/she may find the data by clicking on Useful Data at top, right side of the screen.
- The question paper consists of multiple choice questions (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT). Multiple choice type questions have four choices A, B, C, D, out of which only ONE is the correct answer. The candidate has to choose the correct answer by clicking on the radio button placed before the choice. For numerical answer type questions, a numerical answer should be entered with the help of the numeric key pad, which shall appear on the monitor.
- All questions that are not attempted will result in zero marks. However, wrong answers for multiple choice type questions (MCQ) will result in NEGATIVE marks. For multiple choice type questions, a wrong answer will result in deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. There is no negative marking for questions of numerical answer type (NAT).
- Your answers shall be updated and saved on our server periodically and also at the end of the examination. The examination will stop automatically at the end of 180 minutes.
- A candidate is not allowed to leave the examination hall till the completion of the examination.
- Charts, graph sheets, calculators and mathematical tables are NOT allowed in the examination hall. You must use the scribble pad provided to you at the examination centre for all your rough work. The scribble pad has to be returned at the end of the examination.